Monday 21 July 2014

the business of chickens

So as many of you are painfully aware.. I am waiting for my point of lays to start producing eggs and to officially become 'hens'.
I have been researching many different ways to keep my chickens healthy and happy.
One thing that has stood out is that prevention is better than a cure.
I want to care for my chickens in the best way possible but I also want to keep my home free of products that are harmful to my animals and my family.
Thankfully I have found many ways to keep mites, worms and scaly legs at bay.
One Blogger I have previously mention - Lisa prescribes to the holy trinity - Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic & Diatomaceous Earth.

Click here to read more about how Lisa keeps the chicken nasties away.

Something that seems to have a bit of a debate raging around it is feeding your chickens egg shells to boost their calcium levels for egg production.
Many argue if you are giving your hens or point of lays a good laying pellet/mash/grain then that is all they need while others argue otherwise.
After consideration I have decided to offer as a free choice to my chickens -ground egg shells.
At this point I am using market purchased free range egg shells, baking them in the oven and grinding them with a mortar and pestle.  Whether you need to bake them in the oven or not is also a hot topic when feeding your chicken their own eggs shells - it is always advised when using other hens egg shells.

Wow, who knew there were so many different ways to feed and care for your chickens. At the end of the day if you have your chickens best interests at heart you just need to do what works for you and them. And maybe a little bit of careful trial and error....the same as parenting really.


Cheers,
Lila


No comments:

Post a Comment