Friday 11 July 2014

My first pet ever!

I am so excited! A bucket list item and a long held dream has been achieved!
My husband bought me my very own chicken!!!
And a coop and two playmates to go with.

I may not have dreamed of them as a child but as long as I can remember as an adult I have always wanted chickens. For so many reasons, not just their yummy and free range eggs.
Being somewhat intrepid I have not stayed in one place long enough or had a large enough backyard to commit to being a mummy to hens before now.

My first ever pet was much wanted and I love them.  They are point of lays so are a few weeks off laying but they have already added so much to our home.  My husband and I love sitting in the backyard watching them go about their very busy business. My Black Australorp "Wanderer" has taken the lead and after only one night was corralling the other two up into the roost at sunset.

They are very smart! That is one thing I wasn't expecting.

We ummed and ahhed for months about adding to our family.  Would my husband's dogs get along with them, who would look after them if we went away, point of lays or rescued battery hens... the list goes on. But after careful consideration and research we decided we were ready.

So it may not be a farm yet but our big backyard is alive with activity and chicken poop!

Cheers,

Lila
Wanderer

My husbands White Leghorn "Foghorn"

My daughter's Isa Brown "Twinkle"






No comments:

Post a Comment